All About Sports

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Anxious LB Harris hopes to sign long-term deal with Jets

If nothing else, the longest work stoppage in NFL history has afforded David Harris the chance to take a refresher course on his favorite classic sitcoms.

"I have been doing a whole lot of nothing," the New York Jets linebacker said The Grand Rapids Press in Saturday's edition. "I go work out, and then I come home and see reruns of ‘The Cosby Show,’ ‘The King of Queens,’ ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ and ‘Martin.’ I guess I have seen every episode of ‘The Cosby Show’ once again.

"Hopefully, it is going to end soon. I am ready to go back to act."

Harris is in his hometown of Grand Rapids, Mich., this weekend, hosting his annual football camp at Ottawa Hills High School. The 27-year-old has emerged as one of the premiere players on Rex Ryan's defense, anchoring the linebacker corps.

The Jets thought enough of Harris to place the franchise tag on him prior to the lockout, tying him to the team for some other year at a premium rate.

That is, if the current franchise tag rules remain in place when a fresh collective bargaining agreement is reached. There's a possibility Harris could be an unrestricted free agent just days from now.

The linebacker does not sound like he's itching to go out NY any time shortly.

"I love New York. If you are a defensive player, you would love to act for the Jets, too," he said. "There is no coach other than Rex Ryan that I want to play for. He is a lot of fun. I want to play there the rest of my career."

Last season, Harris finished the modest four-year rookie deal he signed after being drafted in the second-round out of Michigan in 2007. He finished 2010 with 99 tackles, 3 sacks and a forced fumble. He also had a key interception and long return in New York's win over the New England Patriots in the AFC Division Playoffs.

"I still think we will be capable to work out a long-term deal."

Anxious LB Harris hopes to sign long-term deal with Jets Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 comments:

Post a Comment