All About Sports

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Barcelona Sign Fabregas

Fabregas has put the completing touches on his move to Barca from Arsenal after signing a five-year contract with the European champions. Following verification last night that Barça and Arsenal had gained an initial agreement for the transfer of the Spain international, Fabregas this morning undertook a two-stage medical exam before the Catalan club confirmed on their official Twitter page that he had put pen to paper on his contract.

The 24-year-old, who has had a €200m (over £175m) buy-out clause inserted in his contract, is now set to be officially presented to the Barca fans this afternoon at the Nou Camp before then talking to the media. Barcelona posted a comment on their official Twitter feed which read: "Cesc has signed his contract which ties him to Barcelona until 2016. The buy-out clause is 200 million euros."

According to the Barcelona site, Fabregas' medicals have shown him to be in perfect condition. Barcelona's first-team doctor Ricard Pruna told: "All the tests taken have been satisfactory." He added that Fabregas "can be integrated into training without any problem."

Barcelona next match sees them take on Madrid in the 2nd leg of the Spanish Supercopa at the Nou Camp on Wednesday night. The sides drew 2-2 in the first leg at the Bernabeu last night.

After penning his contract with the Catalan club Fabregas, wearing the number 4 shirt, was presented to the Barca fans at the Nou Camp. He was quoted as saying by the Spanish media: "For me it is a special day. I am returning home. I know that the Arsenal fans will be disappointed with my departure from the club, but I am here to face an incredible challenge, the challenge of my life."

He also praised Arsene Wenger. "I will never have plenty words to thank him for all he's done for me," he said. "I will never forget him. I don't think he has such a good image here, he has been portrayed as something he's not, in my opinion. If today I am here with you then it is greatly due to him. I can not express my appreciation for him strongly enough, I owe it to him that I am here."

Fabregas added: "To get the number 4 shirt is very special. I know there has been a debate about whether Thiago (Alcantara) should have it but I am very delighted to be able to wear the number 4."

Fabregas stated of his Arsenal career: "it is been a fantastic experience. I come here with great humility because I know I have a lot to learn and I can learn a lot from this coach and this great squad. I have played with two of them (Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique) since I was 13 and many of the others since I was 18 (with Spain) so I know them very well. I know I can enjoy it and make a part. I am going to try very heavy to make this squad even more competitive and solid."

Barcelona Sign Fabregas Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

2 comments: